Saturday, February 7, 2009


Dearest Samantha,

It's been a while since I've posted, but the lack of a laptop plays a giant role in my internet access. Anyway, I've called you plenty of times to tell you the travels and journeys I've been on this fateful week and I thought I'd paraphrase each day:

Monday: First day of culinary school and my close-to-similar (to SFSU) life at a junior college. I met my four classmates, 3 guys and me. It reminded me of always being the token girl in certain groups of competition... ie. martial arts, sports--you know, back when I was active. The heat was bullshittedly hot so I already wasn't as much of a fan by then. The four of us sat awkwardly at the table, avoiding each other's glances and points of vision, me periodically staring at my phone, hoping someone would text me so I could look like I was doing something, but alas, no one sane is awake this early. The executive chef came in and gave us a run down on what culinary school is going to be about... Junior college was pretty regular, I was having a shitty time in guitar because I was in that awkward stage of being between "beginner" and "intermediate."

Tuesday: Okay I'm going to write smaller entries because I'm tired... Ummmmmm tuesday, the day of dissecting the "pussy pussy" -- that sounded horrible but my foreign lab partner in anatomy thought that "pussy pussy" meant cat. Oh the irony of language barriers. Anyway, I dissected a cat, I know how a dead cat looks like... I know it's body system. I am the scientist of Generation Meow.

Wednesday: I met the love of my life in class. We're going to get married since he walked me to my car.

Thursday: More "pussy pussy" and foreign antics. ANDANDAND I had to give presentations about fruits and vegetables in front of third graders. My executive chef is a jedi, she TRICKED us into giving presentations and lugging around food because it would teach us a lesson... it did teach us a lesson though, I can give presentations without freaking out and I can probably bench press a wagon of vegetables.

Friday: I GOT MY CHEF'S COATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Pictures on Facebook.


Anyway, culinary school is amazing... It's starting out great and I've put those lumberjack Timberland boots I bought for my Halloween costume to good use, they are officially my culinary shoes since they're legit and make me look like a badass. I also am a little taller and can see over stock pots since I'm short shit. There is another girl in the semester above me, but the class that's a semester above mine is almost all boys except for that girl. My executive chef, who is also a girl, told me personally I'm probably going to work really hard, just because I can't carry nearly as much as a guy and can't reach the higher shelves, but she has faith in me and stuff.


I have to go... I'm helping out at a culinary event tomorrow. Yes a sunday, but I get monday off. Farewell.

Sincerely,

Karla-Josephine.

No comments:

Post a Comment