Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hello,
Well I haven't been able to blog because of the Pebble Beach AT&T job assignment I took on the past couple of days. I was assigned in the main cold kitchen in this hotel called The Lodge and I had major anxiety over it, mainly because it was my second week of culinary school and I have little to no training in the restaurant industry... Sure, I have my uniform, but I don't even have my knife kit yet and I barely learned how to chop vegetables. Though it was actually pretty overwhelming, to my surprise, everything was really chill and somewhat felt like I was in a mini-series. Let me elaborate.
Karla-Josephine: The protagonist. A young and aspiring chef who was sent to do an externship at a fancy resort. She is shy and unsure but starts to open up upon meeting the rest of the staff.
Irene: Karla-Josephine's supervisor. She's a cook at the cold kitchen and is both cutthroat and compassionate. She puts Karla to work right away with challenging work that lasts for hours and shows her no mercy, but is very maternal and encouraging.
Jackie: A senior culinary student. Very accomplished and quiet at first, but warms up to Karla after a few assignments.
Antonio: The comedic chef. He's the comedy relief of the group, very light-hearted but an amazing chef.
Hugo: A chef who may fancy Karla-Josephine. He jokes around is the kindest to the rookie, Karla.
Kellie: A caterer. She's rough around the edges and isn't afraid to say words like "fuck," "shit," and "pussy" in the kitchen. She gives Karla a leg up in the catering game and often makes crude jokes one can't help but chuckle at.
Romy: An older cook. He's been working at the resort for 25 years and knows he has nothing much to worry about when it comes to his job. He's quiet but jokes around with Karla often because they both share the same heritage.
Jun: A cook. Slightly odd but makes an effort to get to know Karla. He finds that he possibly knew her grandmother many years ago.
Tony: A chef. Quiet, odd, but has a pretty nice personality. He used to live in San Francisco and often talks about the City with Karla.
Busboys: A group of guys that mostly speak Spanish and refer to Karla as Karlita.
If this were a series, it would kind of be like Cheers, only with a culinary twist. Where everybody knows your name, like literally, whenever someone came in, we would scream their name no matter how early or late in the day it was. The ensemble of people in that kitchen really clicked and worked, even when things were stressful. My favorite parts were probably the smoke breaks, not necessarily for the cigarettes, but for the conversations we'd have and I got to know many of the culinary students from my school that I haven't gotten to talk to.

Anyway, I'm tired and don't think I'm making sense anymore.
Presidents Day is tomorrow. Yay for presidents. I hope to write something more interesting soon.
-Karlajosephine.

No comments:

Post a Comment